News Release March 23, 2017
Release Number: 4128
Shawn Smetana, Public Information Officer
Phone: (843) 958-4007 / Fax: (843) 958-4004
Project website: http://roads.charlestoncounty.org/projects/harborviewroad/
Traffic Alert: Detour for the Harbor View Road Improvements Project
Charleston County Government announces crews will detour traffic on North Shore Drive starting Tuesday, March 28 until Wednesday afternoon for the Harbor View Road Improvements project. Crews will close North Shore Drive at Harbor View Road to convert the intersection to a Right Turn Only. All work is weather permitting.
North Shore Drive will be permanently converted to a Right Turn Only.
Detour March 28 and 29
- Traffic on North Shore Drive will be detoured on March 28 and 29
- The detour and road closure will occur 10 a.m. Tuesday to Wednesday afternoon
- Flagmen will be on site to control traffic
- Message boards and detour signs will be on site to direct traffic
- Harbor View Road will remain open to traffic at all times
New Traffic Pattern March 29
- Wednesday afternoon North Shore Drive will permanently be a Right Turn Only onto Harbor View Road
- Traffic signals will be fully activated on Wednesday afternoon
- All turn lanes and center turn lane will be open to traffic
Drivers traveling through the project’s construction zone are asked to be aware of equipment and crews working in the area at all times.
The purpose of the Harbor View Road Improvements project is to improve traffic flow and safety on Harbor View Road and to provide adequate bicycle and pedestrian facilities. The project will include the addition of a center two-way left turn lane between North Shore Drive and Affirmation Boulevard, the addition of right turn lanes at major intersections, the addition of traffic signals at Fort Sumter Drive and Mikell Drive, the construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Harbor View Road and Fort Johnson Road and the addition of pedestrian and bicycle facilities.
Visit the official website at http://roads.charlestoncounty.org for public meeting notices and up-to-date news and information about all Charleston County Transportation Sales Tax road projects. Anyone with questions about the project can call Charleston County’s Transportation Development Department at (843) 202-6140.
For information on Charleston County Government news and services, the public can:
Prepared by the Charleston County Public Information Office