Meetings of the Planning Commission are open to the public and held on the second Thursday of the month at 6:35 pm at Town Hall. Please see our meeting agendas and minutes.
The Planning Commission consists of five members appointed by the Town Council for terms of four years each. In appointing members to the Planning Commission, the Town Council considers their professional expertise, knowledge of the community and concern for the future welfare of the total community and its citizens. Current Members are:
- Deborah Bidwell, email@example.com
- Mark Maher, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kelly Hall, email@example.com
- Zennie Quinn, Quinn3990@bellsouth.net
- Ed Steers, Edsteers68@gmail.com
The Planning Commission represents a broad cross-section of the interests and concerns within the Town of James Island. No member of the Planning Commission may hold an elected public office. The Planning Commission elects one of its members as chairperson and one as vice-chairperson. Meetings of the Planning Commission are open to the public and held on the second Thursday of the month at 6:00 pm at Town Hall. The Planning Commission acts in a review and recommending capacity to Town Council on the following matters:
- A. Comprehensive Plan amendments;
- B. Zoning and Land Development Regulations text amendments;
- C. Zoning Map amendments (Rezonings);
- D. Planned Development (PD) development plans and PD Zoning Map amendments.
- For issues in which the Planning Commission acts in a review and recommending capacity, a public hearing is held after which a resolution is passed on to Town Council recommending approval or denial of the proposed amendment.
- The Planning Commission shall have final (local) decision-making authority on the following matters:
- A. Preliminary Subdivision Plats;
- B. Public Project Review;
- C. Appeals of Administrative Decisions on Final Subdivision Plats;
- D. Appeals of Administrative Decisions on Subdivision Matters; and
- E. Any other matters pursuant to Chapter 29, Title 6, Section 6-29-340 of the Code of Laws of South Carolina, as amended.